Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Alternative Coffee Methods and Why

There are many reasons why alternative coffee methods are the way to go. These are my three favorites: The French press, the drip coffee maker, and the espresso percolator ( or Cafetera). All three create a different type of coffee and a different type of coffee-drinking experience. These are much better than electric percolators and especially Keurigs. And all fulfill the need to clear counter space for the minimalist lifestyle.



First, the drip coffee maker (and my current favorite) creates the most rich and flavorful coffee. The design allows you to pour hot water over ALL of the coffee grounds, which really makes me feel like I am getting the most out of each individual ground. This method costs much less than electric perc ($40) and it makes better coffee so for me it's a no-brainer. Filters come in packs of 100 at $10 - I use un-bleached. The pointed end of the filter helps the coffee filter through slowly making each drip really count.


The brand is Chemex and you can get it at most specialty coffee shops. Here is a link to get it from Sur la Table. They have many sizes, I got the 6 cup maker.


The next coffee maker is the French Press. This is probably the most common among alternative coffee methods. In my opinion, it makes great coffee (and loose leaf tea!) but it does take more to make it great. I think that if you do not buy specially ground coffee specifically for the French press the end result may leave a type of "soot" at the bottom of your coffee cup. Unlike a usual filter, the mesh bottom of the French press will allow small grinds to pass through. This can be easily fixed though, either buy special grounds or wrap a regular coffee filter underneath the press - this will eliminate the "soot" tremendously. French Press coffee makers are easily found at TJMaxx (like mine) for no more than $15. IKEA has it for $9!


When it comes to espresso, things can get expensive. If you are all about that taste, Cafeteras are the way to go. I wouldn't just go ahead and invest in an espresso machine, great makers need even better espresso beans (which can be extremely expensive - like $80 a bag). Stove-top percolators make really great espresso (but be warned they do not make crema (light creamy foam on top) so you will not be on your way to making latte art any time soon with this). When I was in the south of France, this was the only way we drank coffee and I apparently got hooked. These are also very inexpensively found at TJMaxx but here it is on Amazon too. I do really like illy espresso but I wouldn't spend the money (yes, I found it at TJMaxx for much cheaper). There are plenty of other brands at grocery stores for you to try out at a much smaller price.


And in case you are curious, the following photo is how I usually have them displayed on my counter top. My boyfriend bought me the vintage coffee tin, the coffee scoop is something I found at an art festival - lucky for you I saved their card and here is their Etsy: Riverwood Trading Co.


I hope this makes your mornings (and afternoons and evenings - let's be real) a little more minimal (and tasty). And as always, I hope this helps your life stay simple and easy.

Best,

Michelle

1 comments:

  1. Amazing post dear!

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete