Friday, June 12, 2015

Budgeting and Planning: Groceries!

If there is one thing that I have learned from living a true minimalist lifestyle, it is where to spend more money and where to cut back. It may sound boring but my first topic of spending is groceries!


Nonperishable items are things that you can buy in bulk and should, if you have the space. I buy the large canister of Olive Oil (about 34 oz), it is $12 at my grocery store but to buy just the 8 oz bottle is $5, for me the solution is obvious - go big! If you are curious to try this specific brand, you can also buy it on Amazon for $12. This way, I lay down the big bucks now and save later. I got a dispenser for $4 at Target (it isn't as green as it looks online.) So buy the big peanut butter because you are saving money in the long run. In some cases I am wrong, it is always best to do an ounces to dollars comparison.

When it comes to fresh produce: always buy less. I go to the grocery store every couple of days just to get a few things. Dinner for today and tomorrow. Don't try to think too far in advance. You are only shopping for one or two people. It is not that same as shopping with your mom for at home where there are 5 people! It is just you now so it is time to be a little selfish and just think of YOU and maybe your significant other if they spend a lot of time in your fridge (like mine). If you can, buy things a la carte - instead of a big bag of huge carrots, get three lone large carrots. The most heartbreaking thing is throwing away that bundle of asparagus that you forgot about and became quite slimy... so don't do that! Plan the next couple of days of cooking (and/or eating out) and just shop for that. You could actually be spending less dreadful hours in the grocery store by running in for just the few things you need.

Hope this helps your life stay simple and easy. Check out the links below for more things that I've mentioned.

Best,

Michelle


Zoe 


0 comments:

Post a Comment